Sunday 15 May 2016

Imitation of Life /// What, Is She Black Now?

I've been off work all week to put the final touches to my solo exhibition I am having this week, so I thought I would treat myself to some out of studio time and head to another exhibition, Imitation of Life: Melodrama and Race in the 21st Century a Home Manchester.

The exhibition has a range of works commenting on the representations of people of colour in the US and Europe within the last 15 years.
Film, digital art, installations, sculptures, paintings, it's all here.


From Jasyon Musson's ART THOUGHTZ: How to be a successful Black Artist video, to Lauren Halsey's colourful and striking wall of weaves (We The Ones(blackngold))

Two of my other favourite pieces were Larry Achiampong's collages, Glyth

And Martine Syms installation S1 : E1 about the representation of blackness in American sitcoms which featured a film that is really worth watch.

I left feeling really good and excited to get my exhibition out into the world.
A lot of the pieces are to do with representation of POC in popular culture, so was great to see something with similar themes.
 


 

 Imitation of Life runs until 3rd July.

My exhibition, What, Is She Black Now? runs until Saturday 21st May.

No comments: